Common Types of Essay Writing and Useful Tips
Generally, the essay is referred to as a short piece of academic writing on a particular topic. Nowadays, it is an integral part of all college or university disciplines and degree programs. Mastering a top-notch paper assumes good knowledge not only of English grammar and vocabulary but also of different requirements for numerous kinds of an essay. Though the types vary depending on the purpose of academic writing, in composition, they all have a simple 5-paragraph essay at their heart – an intro, main body paragraphs, and a concluding part.
Types of Essays
The dispute over the number of essay types raves for ages now with no unambiguous decision in sight. We're not going to argue or delve in details of characteristics and definitions – it's not the task of this article. We'll simply list the main types of essays we've found out there in alphabetical order. If needed, you can find specifics for each class in our Essay Glossary. So here we go:
- 5 Paragraph Essay
- Admission essay
- Argumentative essay
- Cause and effect essay
- Classification essay
- Comparison essay
- Critical essay
- Deductive essay
- Definition essay
- Exploratory essay
- Expository essay
- Informal essay
- Literature essay
- Narrative essay
- Personal essay
- Persuasive essay
- Research essay
- Response essay
- Scholarship essay
Characteristic Features of Essay Writing
- Typically, essays are short – you don’t need to be excessive and include unnecessary information and details.
- A well-constructed essay has a certain strict structure (introduction with a strong thesis, body paragraphs and concluding statements) that adds to easy comprehension of an essay.
- Variety of subjects – there are no limits on topics you may disclose without compromising to meaning and value; choose your winning one and write on it within the essay frames.
- Numerous analysis techniques and methods – you don’t need to confine your paper to a specific scientific method or approach: use the one or many to cover the issue to the full extent.
Though being mainly short and easy-to-read, essay assignments develop writing skills, speed up the learning process, exercise logical reasoning and critical judgment as well as allow professors to test your knowledge in a particular discipline. Therefore, you should take it seriously and try to estimate your time to mind the deadline.
How to Succeed in Any Type of Essays Writing?
When it comes to academic writing in college or producing different essays for middle school or high school, many students find it extremely difficult. English language, knowledge of essay structure, research skills - and this is hardly a complete list of various requirements for a legit essay. Writing assignments usually carry a fair part of your final grade that makes them rather impossible to escape. Nevertheless, if you master the following tips applicable to all types of papers, no essay will be complicated for you anymore.
- After choosing a relevant topic that will interest the readers, prepare a brief outline for your essay so as to organize your thoughts and researched information.
- Be sure to use all tips and techniques you will learn on this website because we did try to disclose all the necessary aspects of academic writing and define the way to master this type of assignment as good as possible.
- Improve your time management skills and budget the time to avoid writing your essay at the very last night.
- Don’t forget to proofread and correct your paper to avoid any typos, grammatical mistake or omissions that might have got around in your essay.
- Of course, it may be hard to evaluate your own work and discover the faults in it. Thus, prior to submitting the paper to your professor, ask your friend or family to look through the essay, point out the mistakes and inaccuracies to make sure your work is of the highest quality.
- Believe in your skills and abilities. In case you feel lack of confidence, we are ready to get you covered - feel free to visit our Writing tips section.
Answer a few simple questions. It may take under 2 minutes
Quality of writing
Adherence to instructions
All options are fine