Being asked to choose the most important type of an essay, many people will undoubtedly name the admission one. The reason for it lies not exactly in the level of difficulty of this piece of writing, but in the effect it may have on the life of the writer.
Such essays are a means used by admission committees to learn more about a person who is applying to college, university or a company, get to know the way the author of an essay can contribute to the life of the college or the company and the way he/she can benefit from it.
When you send this essay together with your application form, you, in fact, give the evaluator a much deeper insight into your soul, than the application form itself. So, the main purpose of the admission essay is to convey the character of the author, to check your ability to organize and express your ideas, and to check the general level of language abilities.
In reality, an admission essay is not more difficult, than any other type of writing. The only difference here is that many applicants find the most widely used topic “tell us about yourself” extremely confusing. In order to overcome this difficulty and write a really good admission essay, use the following strategies:
- Read the instructions carefully, consider them and follow as precisely as you can.
- Make a connection between yourself and the institution to which you apply (explain why you are interested and why it is important for you to be admitted).
- Be positive and avoid negativity, as both employers and educational authorities tend to be interested in happy and productive people, rather than in boring and miserable ones.
- Lay emphasis on your experience and achievements.
- Write about your unique experience.
- Be creative and brainstorm freely, but then use some critical thinking and choose the most interesting points.
- Choose the information which is not duplicated in your application form.
- Bear your audience in mind and write as if you were trying to persuade them that you are the best person they can get.
These are simple rules that will help you get the right mood for writing an admission essay. Everything else is just a matter of your character and writing skills.